The University of Vienna (20 faculties and centres, 179 fields of study, approx. 10.000 members of staff, about 90.000 students) seeks to fill the position from 15.09.2021 of a
Managing Officer at the Faculty of Physics
Reference Number: 12247
On March 1st 2016, the Vienna Doctoral School in Physics (VDSP) was established at the University of Vienna. The aim of the VDS Physics is to select committed and highly qualified doctoral students, to continuously support them in their scientific development and to encourage intra-faculty exchange in a supportive and interdisciplinary manner. VDS Physics, currently headed by Univ.-Prof. Dr. Markus Arndt, is now looking for a managing officer for the supervision of the doctoral program.
Duration of employment: initially limited to one year with the option for a permanent contract Extent of Employment: 40 hours/week Job grading in accordance with collective bargaining agreement: §54 VwGr. IIIb (starting at 2,456 gross 14 times a year), with relevant work experience determining the assignment to a particular salary grade.
In your function as a Managing Officer of the VDSP management you report to the Scientific Director and the Managing Director of the VDSP. You are a first point of contact for VDSP students in administrative matters and you maintain good contact with both the VDSP professors and the Centre for Doctoral Training at the University of Vienna.
- You organise the selection procedures for doctoral students:
- international advertisement and application for open positions
- collection and preparation of the applications and letters of recommendation
- independent statistical pre-evaluation and correspondence with the candidates and lecturers
- logistics of the Recruitment Days and Hearings, including travel management
- preparation of individual schedules
- preparation of documents and lecture rooms and catering.
- You will be in charge of the VDS database to monitor
- the progress of the VDSP doctoral candidates
- Mentoring discussions
- VDSP publications
- conference participation, etc.
- As a compliance officer, you will monitor that the VDSP internal rules are observed.
- You maintain and update the VDS website (Typo 3) independently.
- You initiate the annual meetings between the doctoral students and their mentors and dissertation evaluations based on the data collection.
- You support the organisation of the VDSP activities, including travel management for speakers and doctoral students and the social programme. Current activities include the preparation of the excursions of the doctoral students, panel discussions, soft skills workshops, networking meetings between students, summer schools and conferences, as well as introductory and career days.
- You are responsible for the data collection of PhD students as well as the preparation of statistics for our monitoring meetings and annual reports.
- You will prepare the board meetings and take the minutes.
- You are the first contact person for administrative enquiries by email and telephone from outside and inside the university to the VDSP.
- You act as controller and prepare the VDSP budget for the board.
- All project communication is in English.
- General or vocational secondary school
- Extensive computer user and database knowledge (MS-Office, Typo3)
- High level of written and oral German and English is essential
- Experience in project management, especially with the administration of doctoral matters, is an advantage
- You should enjoy working with a team in an international environment
- Organisational skills and independence
- Flexibility and resilience
- Social competence
- Basic accounting skills
- Knowledge of university structures and experience in university administration is helpful
- Diverse and interesting challenges within one of Europe's largest universities.
- An open, friendly, flexible and international work environment
- A salary commensurate with skills and experience (in accordance with the University's collective bargaining agreement)
Applications including a letter of motivation (English) should be submitted via the Job Center to the University of Vienna no later than 25.09.2021, mentioning reference number 12247.
For further information please contact Losert-Valiente Kroon, Christiane Maria +43-1-4277-72568.
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (http://diversity.univie.ac.at/). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.