Strategist, CMC Regulatory Affairs, Plasma-Derived Therapies Business Unit
Job ID SR0037376 Date posted 06/20/2019 Location Cambridge, Massachusetts; Vienna, Austria
The PDT BU R& group is dedicated to bringing forward new therapeutic approaches based on plasma-derived therapies for patients with rare and complex diseases. Takeda believes there is tremendous potential to do more to meet patients’ and health care providers’ expectations with plasma-derived and plasma-oriented therapies for patients with immunologic, hematologic, and other complex diseases. The Head, Global Regulatory Affairs Strategy, Plasma-Derived Therapies Business Unit will have the ability to create and define the future vision and operating model for the team. There will be two main drivers of innovation in the newly-formed PDT R& group:
- Translational Pharmaceutical Sciences: This innovation engine will practice rapid-cycle innovation to test and develop improvements to existing products, develop new products, and improve yield. It will combine translational research with pharmaceutical sciences and device, and will receive inputs from and into clinical research and manufacturing sciences.
- Precision Medicine: This innovation engine will focus on developing comprehensive, value-oriented health care delivery packages around drug products, targeted to maximize benefit and reduce risk to precise patient populations. In the process, this engine will drive innovation by practicing patient-centric R&.
Under general supervision by the Lead, CMC Regulatory Affairs, Plasma-Derived Therapies Business Unit (GRA PDT BU) the Strategist is responsible for developing, coordinating and implementing global CMC regulatory strategies for assigned programs. Specifically, the Strategist, CMC Regulatory Affairs is responsible for providing strategic guidance to PDT product teams by defining and optimizing global regulatory strategies pertaining to the development, registration, commercialization and lifecycle management of Plasma-Derived Therapies in the United States and international markets. The role will serve as the liaison to, and oversees the regulatory affairs relationship with, US and International Health Authorities for CMC issues pertaining to assigned PDT programs.
Strategic Leadership & External Interactions
- Proactively contributes to the development and implementation of innovative CMC regulatory strategies in close collaboration with relevant Takeda R&, PDT BU R& and Commercial functions to obtain, maintain and extend Takeda PDT BU product registrations in the United States, Japan, the European Union, Canada and emerging markets.
- Maintains optimal GRA CMC Regulatory Affairs effectiveness for ongoing development and lifecycle management activities for assigned programs.
- Provides proactive guidance and regulatory strategies to support PDT product teams.
- Remains knowledgeable about current CMC regulations and guidance and interprets the global CMC regulatory environment to provide proactive guidance to internal stakeholders based on technical and regulatory knowledge and to guide the development of strategic and tactical regulatory plans. Proactively identifies and assesses regulatory and compliance risks associated with product development and life-cycle management activities.
- Creates high quality, compliant CMC regulatory documents (eg, Core Dossiers, CTAs, MAAs, NDS, Variations and other relevant regulatory CMC filings) within defined timelines as per Takeda PDT BU objectives.
- Interfaces with key GMS and PDT BU R& functions in the preparation, review and approval of CMC regulatory filings to support early and late stage development assets, and the maintenance or expansion of approved Plasma-Derived Therapies globally.
- Proactively develops and fosters appropriate relationships with global regulatory agencies, especially the US Food and Drug Administration and international regulatory agencies to develop effective, professional relationships and advance a positive company image.
- In partnership with other relevant functions, assists in the conduct of regulatory agency inspections and compliance audits. Ensures compliance in all GRA PDT BU activities.
- Acts as an ambassador for the Takeda PDT BU Regulatory Affairs organization to influence and shape the external regulatory and policy environment.
Culture and People Leadership
- Ensures a culture of transparency, innovation and teamwork. Is approachable to colleagues across Takeda and is open to the ideas of others.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Minimum of 2-6 years of experience in global drug/biologics development in the biopharmaceutical or biotechnology industry, or Government Health Authorities.
- Minimum of 2-5 years in a Regulatory Affairs CMC role.
- Experience in plasma-derived therapies or biologics preferred.
- Global regulatory CMC and/or Device experience preferable.
- Advanced degree preferred, such as PhD, MD or JD.
Key Skills, Abilities, and Competencies
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to inspire colleagues.
- Extensive knowledge of global regulatory requirements and demonstrated ability to function as the lead interface with global Regulatory Authorities.
- Ability to use precedent and previous experience to develop innovative and flexible approaches to achieving commercial goals.
- Ability to challenge self and others to overcome barriers and deliver high quality solutions to the business.
- Ability to negotiate and influence without authority in a matrix environment.
- Crisp decision-making following appropriate consultation, even in times of ambiguity.
- Knowledge of the global drug discovery and development process, laws and CMC regulations affecting biopharmaceutical development in US, EU and international markets.
- Ability to motivate, mentor and manage a diverse team in a matrix environment.
- Must be able to work in a fast paced, highly matrixed, GPT-oriented work environment with demonstrated ability to prioritize and complete multiple competing tasks and demands.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, analytical, managerial, and organizational skills.
Complexity and Problem Solving
- A complex global role. Recommendations and decisions have significant impact on the achievement of critical functional line and PDT BU R& and Commercial goals.
Internal and External Contacts
- Key contacts include Manufacturing, Quality Assurance, Supply Chain, regional and local regulatory affairs organizations, PDT BU Commercial, Medical Affairs, Clinical Research & Operations, and others. Externally, may interact directly with US, EU and EEA region regulatory agencies, Health Canada, PMDA/MHLW, international regulatory agencies, policy makers, patient and trade associations on CMC-related issues.
Other Job Requirements
- ~15-20% national and international travel anticipated
Notice to Employment / Recruitment Agents:
Employment / Recruitment agents may only submit candidates for vacancies only if they have written authorization to do so from Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda’s Talent Acquisition department. Any agency candidate submission may only be submitted to positions opened to the agency through the specific Agency Portal. Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda will only pay a fee for candidates submitted or presented where there is a fully executed contract in place between the Employment / Recruitment agents and Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda and only if the candidate is submitted via the Agency Portal. Candidates submitted or presented by Employment / Recruitment Agents without a fully executed contract or submitted through this site shall not be deemed to form part of any Engagement for which the Agency may claim remuneration.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce. Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, will not discriminate against any worker or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, gender reassignment, non-job related mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, military service, application for military service, or membership in any other category protected under law.
EEO is the Law - https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf
EEO is the Law – Supplement - https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCP_EEO_Suppleme...
Pay Transparency Policy - https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_formattedESQA508c.pdf
Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please call 484-595-8400 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
Job ID SR0037376